Frequently used terms

Parent(s): the person legally caring for a migratory student; could be a guardian

Child/children: youth aged 0-21 who have not graduated from high school or earned a HSE certificate

Student: youth enrolled in a public school in Texas

If you see the words “English Only” next to a website, this means the resource does not have a translation option and is only available in English

If you see this icon, Migrant Education Logo it means that the service or resource described is provided by the MEP and only available to migratory students.

Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral Degrees

If your child is interested in a professional career that requires at least a four-year degree, such as becoming a teacher, pharmacist, or accountant, they will want to explore the options available at universities. Depending on the career path your child chooses, they will obtain a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. A bachelor’s degree usually requires four or more years of study. A master’s degree will require an additional two to three years after a bachelor’s degree is earned. A doctoral degree requires three years or more, depending on the chosen field of study after the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.

All universities have different enrollment standards, but some of the basic requirements needed for enrollment to many universities include the following:

  • High school transcript or HSE degree, formerly called a GED. Transcripts show the grade for each class taken by the student and the overall grade- point average.
  • Standardized test scores for the ACT or SAT. Migratory students may receive up to two fee waivers for each college entrance exam. Visit the College Board website for information regarding SAT fee waivers; Spanish version of SAT fee waivers ; and ACT website for ACT fee waivers (English only).
  • The TSI Assessment measures a students readiness for college-level work. The results of this assessment are used to determine course placement.
  • College application form. Many colleges and universities accept the online Common Application or the Universal College Application. Visit Common College Application (English only) for help in completing this application.
  • Fees. Most colleges require an application fee, but migratory students may receive fee waivers for four colleges. This means your child will not have to pay the application fee.
  • Letters of recommendation. These letters may be written by one of your child’s high school teachers, a counselor, an adviser, or someone who can speak highly of his or her achievement and character.
  • Interview. Universities may require an interview with school officials or alumni.
  • List of extracurricular activities and/or an essay. 3

Resource provided by the MEP Migratory students who have received a high school diploma or its equivalent may enroll in a higher education institution and may receive financial assistance to pay for part of their degree program through the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)

How can my family learn more about CAMP?

  • An MEP counselor or staff member can arrange college visits to various universities, especially to the institutions of higher education that offer the CAMP.
  • The MEP recruiter or staff member can also schedule a CAMP recruiter to visit the high schools to facilitate the application process for senior students.

Which universities and colleges offer a CAMP program?

A list of universities offering the CAMP program each year can be found on the CAMP Projects page. Each CAMP offers different financial aid options and may have different requirements. Visit the website linked under each CAMP project for specific requirements, deadlines for application, and instructions.

There are many different degree programs available at a university level, and it is best to have your child speak to a high school counselor and/or college adviser for help in narrowing down the field of interest. Many districts have a college and career center that may also be helpful to your child.

For more information on universities in Texas, visit 2023 Best Colleges in Texas (English only).

Helpful websites:


3 “What are Typical University Requirements for Enrollment?”, accessed January 24, 2022,